You heard right ladies and gents. Tommy, the Green Ranger, is coming back into the public eye (after stealing Jason's spotlight) after all those years on the Power Rangers to fight in the UFC.
Feeling nostalgic? Just a little. Okay, maybe more than that. The UFC has by far established itself as a prime force in martial art competition; and the jump from a 90's children's show to the Ultimate Fighting Championship is one for the ages. Ex-WWF wrestler Brock Lesnar has become a pretty damn successful example in terms of making a jump from one realm of the business to another, and though it has been a tough ride, his success has been measured by his victories. This is the story in all sports, and the case will not change for the 'green one'.
How well do you think our childhood friend will do? Well the word through the grapevine is that Tommy, alright, his real name is Jason David Frank- yes, three first names- has been training with UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard. Plus, with the martial arts background he has had since the Mighty Morphin' days, this may not be as difficult a transition as it seems.
From an interview on the Suckerpunch website, Jason said "I was supposed to fight in 2007, but it fell through. In truth, I've wanted to to put the work in until I'm ready... I know I have a target on my back. Everyone is going to want to beat up the Green Ranger." Slow your roll Tommy, don't think you have that big a target on your back.. yet.
Truth be told, we may never see him in the octagon, yet the chance is there, and if he takes it, we may be seeing a glorious comeback or a dismal attempt at a return to the spotlight.
Hopefully, for childhood's sake, it's the former rather than the latter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment